Creativity is a powerful tool that can help children learn, grow, and thrive. It can also help them develop important values.
- One way to let them show their creativity is to give them art supplies, musical instruments, building blocks, and other materials that they can use to express themselves creatively. The more materials they have, the more creative they will be.
Let them make mistakes. It's okay if their creations don't turn out exactly the way they want them to. Mistakes are a part of the creative process. The more they make mistakes, the more they will learn and the more creative they will become.
This will be an important lesson for them in life so the earlier they become comfortable with this, the better.
They see you as their mentor, so:
- Praise their creativity. When your kids create something, take the time to appreciate their work. Let them know that you think they are creative and that you value their creativity. The more they feel appreciated, the more creative they will be.
- Self-expression: Creativity allows children to express themselves in ways that they might not be able to verbally. This can be a great way for them to explore their emotions, thoughts, and ideas. It allows children to be children and hopefully as they grow into young adults that inner child will be with them.
- Problem-solving: This is a big Life lesson Creativity can help children come up with new and innovative solutions to problems. This is a valuable skill that will serve them well in school, in their careers, and in their personal lives.
- Resilience: Having the inner strength to carry on takes time to build. Creativity can help children bounce back from setbacks and challenges. When they are able to come up with new and creative solutions, it can help them feel more confident and capable and have a more positive outlook on life when things are not going the way they want them to
- Empathy: One of my favourites and requires time to hone in on this skill set. Creativity can help children see the world from different perspectives. This can help them develop empathy for others and understand their feelings.This will help them greatly as the world becomes more complex.
Helping your kids think more creatively is a great way to give them a head start in life. Creativity is a skill that will serve them well in school, in their careers, and in their personal lives.
For more ways for your child to be creative and resilient, grab a My Values Journal.
In My Values Journal, we cover all these topics in much more detail. So grab one today!